Every movement starts with why. Our why is a world where all young people have the resources they need to thrive in recovery from addiction to drugs and alcohol. Millions of people around the world are impacted by addiction and everyone that has entered recovery found their why.
As Simon Sinek says, “our why is the purpose, cause, or belief that drives everyone of us.” The core of us lies in our ability to identify our why and returning to that for motivation. When things get challenging, it is easy to lose hope; however when we remember and reflect on why we’re doing something, the “what” and “how” becomes clearer and more sustainable.
Whether you’re a person in long-term recovery, a family member or friend, someone who’s struggling with addiction, or an ally, your why can make an impact. We’re people living in recovery who know how empowering it is to share our stories. Now, it’s our mission to give you the opportunity to tell yours as well. Tell your Story/ My Why is a collection of stories, from the many different kinds of people affected by addiction – people like you. Through this project, it’s our goal to feature as many of these stories as possible via social media.
This is for everyone who is or has been affected by addiction. Stand with us, write your heart out and tell everyone your why.
- 500-1,000 words.
- 1 personal picture submission minimum / 3 maximum.
- No profanity.
- Avoid common messaging mistakes:
- “I’m an addict/alcoholic”
- “I’m a recovering addict (or alcoholic)”
- Information about 12-step programs (E.G. Membership in AA, NA or AL-ANON)
- Instead use phrases such as, “I’m a person in long-term recovery, which means…”, “My family and I are in long-term recovery, which means…”, or “I work with/interact with this group/person who is a part of our community, living in long term recovery..”
- Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- You may paste the story in the text field and/or upload a Word document.
- 10MB limitation on all files.